A Blog that fit’s in the Pocket (2)

A Very Tiny Blog

 — (machine)

page 2 of 2:

There were a few gotchas that I uncovered during the setup phase.  Aren’t there always such things in any of these types of projects?  Anyway, WordPress is a thing that works together with its plugins and its database, and the versions of all the pieces and parts must be kept in synchronization.  Thus, plugin developers who stop developing their plugins eventually have a non-working plugin.  I used a version of WordPress that is already not the latest.  Yes – I know how bad that is, and I should be  ashamed.  But, it’s the only (easy) way to get the needed plugins synced with the larger codebase, without doing the coding.  Over time, the database schema changes.  Then it needs to be synchronized with the plugin.  So, it’s a matter of doing the work the plugin developer would have done (had he continued), or using versions of things that already work.  Using version combinations of things just because they already work together can be BAD.

Why is it a bad sort of thing to do? If you go to the wordpress.org archive site, you will (IIRC) find a disclaimer stating that archived versions could be vulnerable (excepting the latest, not archived version). The latest version is eventually itself retired, and then the same is said of it. And so on, and so on.  In other words, things are always being patched and fixed.  Therefore, someone like me – using the “not quite latest” versions of things, could be “vulnerable”.  Come on, mine isn’t THAT old.  Anyway, like I said, this is to be a private server. If it’s breached such that it’s “no longer private” – I’d consider it to be vulnerable.  In the meantime, I write on it.

Some of the gotchas?

When I first installed the blog, the dashboard worked, I could create new pages and posts, but I couldn’t upload any graphics files to the media library.  It turned out that a tweak was needed in both the Php and Hiawatha configuration files.  First, the Hiawatha changes:

  • MaxRequestSize = 1024
  • TimeForRequest = 60
  • MaxUploadSize = 1024

AFAIK, these size specifications have to be within the “binding config” for the 80 or 443 port binding configurations.  At least, that’s where I put them, inside of the hiawatha.conf file.  There’s a gotcha inside the gotcha on this one!  If more than one megabyte is specified, then the statement is ignored, and the default size is then in effect. The default size is 64 kilobytes, and I don’t have any graphics that small.

In the Php configuration, the upload_tmp_dir item had to be modified.  This may have been the result of my picking a relatively obscure OS, with different alignments for things …

To be continued …

Note: WordPress is under the guardianship of the WordPress Foundation, and WordPress.com is a service provider owned by Automattic, Inc.  Neither has any association with this author, even though this blog is hosted there!