A collection of SoC Projects

allmylittledroids7Figure 1: A growing Collection of little Soc/SBC powered computers (click to enlarge).

Today, when I visited my own site, I realized how confusing some of the projects may seem, because they reference different boards and things, and it’s a little bit of a jumble, and it’s hard to tell the players without a program.  Figure 1 should sort out some of the details.  There are two “homemade” tablets and two “homemade” servers at this point, all ARM CPU architecture powered, by SoC based SBC boards.

Read More …

Testing the Membrane Pad on the Pi2

firstmembranetest-frontface1Figure 1: Testing the membrane pad on the Pi2 powered “homemade” tablet.

The little pull-up board was mounted near the Pi2, so as to make the wires shorter.  It was mounted vertically, in that space between the enclosure’s connecting posts.  Then, I made the first test of the membrane pad, using the wiringPi gpio command to read all GPIO at once …

Read More …

SDR/Audio/Pi2

crammed-raspiriscytabletFigure 1: The “homemade tablet” is getting cramped. (Click to expand)

In figure 2, it can be seen that the little “homemade” tablet is getting quite cramped. Note that I did not mount the Cirrus card on the 40 pin IO connector of the Pi/2. This was to facilitate use of the GPIO pins for other things. There is also a vertical clearance problem to deal with. So, there will be individual wired female header lines coming from the audio board to the Pi/2 J8 connector (not yet in place).

Read More …

A Radio for the Homemade Tablet

soft66-build2 Figure 1: The “soft66” SDR (software defined radio) board. It’s a fun thing to build in a spare three hours, and even more fun to operate!

Recently I’d integrated a “homemade” tablet into the station, for things like receiving weather faxes and BPSK31 transmissions. I’d been using external receivers to do that, but mentioned that I really wanted to put a “shortwave” receiver board inside the tablet, for an all-in-one effect.

Read more …

The Homemade Tablet’s Little Brother

serverodroidwithbattery1 Figure 1: We’re growing the family, and HT version two is being born. Here it is shown, perched on top of the original “homemade tablet” (click to enlarge).

Originally, the idea was to put a very small display on the panel of this Hammond aluminum enclosure. I’ve changed plans, and it will just be a server droid.

Read More …

Homemade Tablet – External Battery Case

batterycase-red-hue-1

The batteries were pretty exposed, lying on the kitchen table with their wires all hanging out. Of course I had to fix that situation. Today, the mailman brought the clear top box I’d been waiting for, which helped to put the batteries into a better home. Happily I managed to find a battery case in the exact same color as the tablet, in spite of the fact that I ordered the two cases, each from a different manufacturer. I thought the photo (top) came out pretty well. The red on the display is reflecting off of my bedroom walls.

Read more …

Homemade Tablet – Getting the Battery Parameters

drawt-7b

The start up voltage was higher today (10.35 volts) than it was yesterday (9.65 volts). That may point to the batteries being a little more discharged than I thought, coming out of the shipping box. If that’s the case, then I’m looking at an even better runtime on these freshly charged batteries. Vaguely, this makes sense, because of the efficiency difference between the booster and the DC-DC converter, I was indeed expecting a better runtime than four hours yesterday. So, time will tell. Literally.

Read More …